Optics (MATR329), Spring 2022
Lecturer: Doc. Ivan Kassamakov, C318, email: ivan dot kassamakov at helsinki dot fi.
Assistants: Göran Maconi , C204a, email: goran dot maconi at helsinki dot fi.
Joni Papponen, C204a, email: joni dot papponen at helsinki dot fi.
- As a measure to avoid the potential spread of coronavirus, the lectures and exercises will be online.
- Lecture notes will be uploaded to the webpage for self study.
- Uploaded info about the topics covered in the course
- Notice: lectures on Thursdays 10-12 starting from 03.02.2022!
Scope: 5 credits.
The course primarily provides an introduction to physical optics. Main aspects of geometrical optics will also be covered, as well as a brief presentation of selected issues in modern optics. The general topics to be covered include: electromagnetic theory, propagation of light, geometric optics, paraxial theory, polarization and interference.
Literature: E. Hecht: Optics, Pearson 2017, 5th Ed. (or older).
Chapters covered in course:
1. Brief History (Chapter 1).
2. The propagation of light (Chapter 4).
3. Geometric optics (Chapter 5).
4. Polarization (Chapter 8).
5. Interference (Chapter 9)
6. Diffraction (Chapter 10)
Timing in studies: 2nd-3rd year.
Prerequisites: First year classes in electromagnetism and calculus (MAPU).
Remark: For the final project, you will need to request a student license for Zemax OpticStudio.
Thursdays 10-12, in Zoom
Meeting ID: 680 1720 7657
Thursdays 16-18, in Zoom
Exercise 1 | Solutions 1
Exercise 2 | Solutions 2
Exercise 3 | Solutions 3
Exercise 4 | Solutions 4
Exercise 5 | Solutions 5
Exercise 6 | Solutions 6
Exercise 7 | Solutions 7
Exercise 8 | Solutions 8
Exercise 9 | Solutions 9
Exercise 10 | Solutions 10